Wednesday, February 6, 2013

7 Days to Successful Meal Planning: Day 2

Day 2: Organization

If you completed Day 1, by taking inventory of your food, knowing what you have and ridding yourself of all those items that are unhealthy, expired, etc. you are all set to move into the organization stage of meal planning.  We are about to organize your cupboards, pantry, freezer, fridge, etc.  That's right...those pesky organization crazy ladies, I'm one of them.  I can't function if I don't have my pantry organized.  If it's canned and tomato...it's going to be with the canned goods and tomato products. If it's a baking good such as almond flour and coconut flour they are gong to be found in the containers in my pantry.

Just to show you that I am not just blowing smoke, I will show you the inside of our pantry...it's tiny, minimal, and perfect for my needs.  It has been modified by adding little shelving units to give us some extra shelves, but it suits its purpose...and yes people, I don't keep much on hand.  If you decide to use my meal planning, you'll notice that most of this isn't even stuff I use...I maybe use a quarter of it, the rest I probably need to just toss or find a good home for...anyone eat beans? They are rarely, if ever used on my meal plan...and I could use these little containers much more appropriately for things that I do use.

Maybe you're wondering where I found all my containers without spending a fortune?  I am a "Maxinista".  I love TJ Maxx!!!  I frequently shop their kitchen section for fun/practical reasonably priced storage containers.  And when I find what I want, I buy it...and buy it to what I plan on using it for.  These containers are perfect for stacking.  I try not to buy all the same as they fit much better and make for much easier stacking.  Stay away from bulky jars or from round containers.  These take up essential space.

Next area, the one that I dread...the fridge.  This is pretty much what it looks like when it is almost grocery day...it just never looks pretty.  I'll post what it looks like on a regular day coming up here soon!  But this is what it looks like. 

Next, here are my liquids...oils and vinegars...and then last but not least, my spices.  My spice cabinet is a work in progress.  I'm too cheap to buy all matching glass bottles, but it's on the list.  Archer Farms spices are a little spendy, but as I do it one at a time I replace the plastic with the glass...and when I run out, I refill with spices I buy from the bulk supply.  (You can see those containers on my bottom shelf...I prefer when they come in plastic bags rather than containers because I know I pay more for those little containers.)

So there you have it, nothing special, but organized and minimal.  I find it easiest to know what you have and where it is...this also helps when coming to planning your meals and creating your grocery list.  You're one step closer to creating a successful meal plan. 










No comments:

Post a Comment